Michelle Wilson is a mixed media artist and an art psychotherapist. She is a member of the British Association of Art Therapists and registered with the Health & Care Professions Council, in the UK.
She has worked as a studio assistant, a teaching assistant, an art therapist, a social worker, and an advocate for children and young people. Michelle’s professional interests are in early intervention mental health services and the use of arts in health. Michelle now runs a wellness retreat centre in Catalonia and makes art. She is increasingly interested in art-activism as a powerful change agent which transcends language barriers and conventional ways of understanding problems.
Michelle’s artwork is informed by social and environmental issues and framed by psychoanalytic and philosophical thinking; her work is both conceptual and didactic. She aims to engage viewers emotionally and cognitively to facilitate a process of personal / social change. Some key art influences are Louis Bourgeois, Eva Hesse, Joseph Beuys, Mona Hatoum, Martin Creed, Cy Twombly, and the Guerilla Girls. Michelle believes that the process of making art, and looking at / experiencing art are vital for good mental health, self-awareness, raising social consciousness, and empowering people.
- 1996 – BA Studio Art, University of Vermont, USA
- 2004 – MSc Social Policy, London School of Economics
- 2010 – MA Art Psychotherapy, Goldsmiths College, London
Awards & Scholarships
- 1996 – Ian Crawford Memorial Scholarship
- 2009 – Goldsmiths’ College, “End of Year Exhibition”
- 2010 – Goldsmiths’ College, “Holding Space”
- 2016 – Artistes a Cel Obert, “Va de Bols”
- 2017 – Artistes a Cel Obert, “Toquem Campanes”
- 2017 – Empordoneses, “Smartphones”
- 2018 – Empordoneses, “Aforisme: consideracions estètiques entorn el canvi climàtic” (Visual responses to climate change)
- 2019 – Empordoneses, “La Comunitat”
- 2019 – White Summer, “Consciències Naturals III”
- 2020 – Artistes a Cel Obert, “La Terra i la Dona”